The MOD Pendine Range is on the southwest coast of Wales. It provides test and evaluation services throughout the life of systems, from concept to disposal.
The site comprises land-based Ranges with an area of 20.5km². It has various enclosed tunnel Ranges, a 9km shoreline suitable for aircraft landing training sorties, a large sea danger area extending approximately 18km², airspace up to 23,000ft, and a high tidal range of up to 8m.
MOD Pendine has an engineering facility with a design office and workshop, an approved armoury, and a magazine facility.
The Range's Long Test Track (LTT) facility, suitable for high-speed dynamic trials, is unique to the UK. It is one of the foremost test facilities in Europe for the dynamic testing of warheads, precision ground attack systems and missile components. It is a 1,500m instrumented test track, enabling trials of systems up to Mach 3, with accelerations of up to 130g. Pendine also has a Short Test Track of 200m. This can accommodate weights and velocities between 45kg at 500 m/s to 250kg at 250 m/s.
The MOD Pendine Range is the UK and NATO European Regional Test Centre (ERTC) and is the recognised facility for the accreditation of small arms and cannon ammunition.
Other facilities include:
- Impact Testing Range: 400m of standard rail track ending with a solid concrete butt. Weights in excess of 40 tonnes can be used and speeds of 120m/s can be achieved with smaller payloads.
- Small Arms and Medium Calibre Ranges: Two 50m and one 200m tunnel and various open Ranges. Full range of conditioning available. Max range is 1,500m against land targets and 18km out to sea.
- Other Ranges: Used for explosive trials, including facility with arenas, force protection and shaped charge trials.
- Fuel Fire Arena: For the evaluation of stores in a fuel fire.
- Measurement Devices: Facilities to measure velocity, internal and external pressure, spin rate, strain, moment of inertia, centre of gravity, target strike and fragmentation and blast.
- Instrumentation: Photography and high speed video tracking, doppler radar, static, Flash X-Ray Systems Mobile and Hybrid Tracking Platform (HTP) instruments.
- Trials Solutions & Data Analysis (TS&DA): Post-trial data processing and analysis service can extract and process data from instrumentation provided by tracking radar, optical instrumentation and telemetry facilities.
MOD Pendine can deliver the following capabilities:
Community information regarding the MOD Pendine Range is available on the MOD Pendine website.
Directions from M4
Follow the A48 from M4 Jct 49 (A48/A483), second exit to Cross Hands.
Follow signs for Carmarthen (A48). Services available at Roundabout.
Travel approximately 3.5 miles
At Cross Hands cross the roundabout 3rd exit, follow signs for Carmarthen.
Note: Travelodge (Llanelli - Cross Hands) and Starbucks visible on your left hand side as you come to the roundabout.
Follow the A48 through to Carmarthen for approximately 11 miles.
At roundabout take 2nd exit A40 (signposted St Clears)
Travel over bridge to second roundabout.
At roundabout take 1st exit A40
Note: B&Q should visible at second roundabout on your left hand side.
Travel down the A40 approximately 8 miles where you will see Laugharne and Pendine signposted as the A4066. Take the exit to the A4066 which bears around to your left and then at the T-Junction take a right.
Follow the A4066 for approximately 7 miles, passing though St Clears, Laugharne and Brook. QinetiQ Pendine is further along on left hand side of road.
Please note: be careful when using satellite navigation systems as inputting the postcode will not take you to the site.