Weapons, Ordnance and Munition Safety
The LTPA provides the UK’s largest independent test and evaluation services to assess the safety of weapons, ordnance and munitions. The LTPA encompasses a vast array of ranges, instrumentation, and support facilities. Together the LTPA provides a holistic capability for weapons, ordnance and munitions testing.
Safety testing encompass all small arms, cannon, mortars, grenades, demolition stores, mines, rockets, artillery and tank weapon systems. Tests can be conducted on developmental systems through to testing for service acceptance, proof and in-service monitoring of munitions and weapons. Tests can be conducted either to defined STANAGs or by bespoke trial design.
- Munition safety assessments; to ensure that the munition and its sub-systems meet UK’s Defence Ordnance Safety Group (DOSG) safety requirements.
- Munition environmental assessments; to ensure that the munition is safe following exposure to the range of climatic and mechanically induced environments that will be experienced during service life.
- Insensitive munitions (IM) assessments; the LTPA conducts the full suite of NATO defined IM tests to determine the munition’s response severity when subjected to unintended initiation through accidental and combat threats.
- Explosive classification assessments; to verify that the energetic material meets UK safety requirements.
- Ordnance safety assessments; to verify that the ordnance and its sub-systems meet UK’s DOSG safety requirements.
Weapons, Ordnance and Munition Safety assessment capability is provided through the following sites:
- MOD Shoeburyness
- MOD Pendine
- MOD Eskmeals
- MOD Aberporth
- MOD Hebrides
- MOD BUTEC
- MOD Larkhill
- MOD West Freugh