Magnetic Assessment Services
Through the LTPA, QinetiQ performs compass calibration, compass base surveying, and magnetic fields surveys anywhere in the world. The Range at MOD Portland Bill simulates/demagnetises equipment used in Mine Countermeasures Vessels (MCMVs) and Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) applications. A team of suitably qualified and experienced people provide design advice to identify and support MCMV through-life equipment changes. This has included monitoring and assessment of DG system instability, advice on the design of new equipment DG coil fits, and assessment of new measurements.
The main site at MOD Portland Bill can treat, measure and reduce magnetic fields of individual items of equipment, on a high volume basis. The facility can simulate any magnetic field at any point on the Earth’s surface and measure the effect on the object under test. It has five key offerings:
- Compass Test Centre: for inspecting and testing magnetic compasses.
- Compass base calibration surveys: detailed magnetic surveys of airfields for accurate calibration of aircraft compasses and magnetic direction finding systems.
- Demagnetisation: of tools and equipment used in sensitive areas.
- Land Magnetic Range and EOD Range: to measure, record and correct magnetic signatures of tools and equipment to ensure they are magnetically clean and will not accidentally trigger an explosive device.
- Magnetic surveys: of areas involved in the production and storage of MCMV equipment, to ensure compliance with defined criteria.
Training is provided to naval and civilian personnel in all aspects of signature management.
Magnetic Assessment Services are available at:
- MOD Portland Bill
- Mobile Facility deployable worldwide