MOD Boscombe Down
MOD Boscombe Down in Wiltshire provides an operational airfield with the longest military runway in the UK. The site has two operational runways, air traffic control, emergency services, a meteorological office and a bird-scanning unit.
Boscombe Down's primary role is to support MOD by performing impartial flight trials of new aircraft, airborne equipment and weapons to assess safety and suitability. Trials can be carried out during research, development and production phases as well as during operational service.
The site houses a fleet of test aircraft as well as being home to the Empire Test Pilots' School (ETPS) and a variety of ground-based test facilities for aircraft and other military vehicles.
Capabilities undertaken via the LTPA at Boscombe Down include:
- Aerospace Technology Demonstration & Risk Reduction Services
- Ageing Aircraft and Life Extension
- Aircraft Maintenance & Services
- Bay Servicing & Logistics
- Design and Development
- Electromagnetic Compatibility Testing
- Empire Test Pilots’ School (ETPS)
- Environmental Testing
- Radio Trials
- Release to Service Recommendations
- Safety and Airworthiness Consultancy
- T&E Programme Delivery
- Unmanned Aerial Systems Test & Evaluation Services