Magnetic Assessment Services
We carry out compass calibration, compass base surveying and magnetic fields surveys anywhere in the world. We operate a range that simulates/demagnetises equipment used in Mine Countermeasures Vessels (MCMVs) and Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) applications.
The main site is at Portland Bill and can treat, measure and reduce magnetic fields of individual items of equipment, on a high volume basis. The facility can simulate any magnetic field at any point on the Earth’s surface and measure the effect on the object under test. It has five key offerings:
- Compass Test Centre: for inspecting and testing magnetic compasses.
- Compass base calibration surveys: detailed magnetic surveys of airfields for accurate calibration of aircraft compasses and magnetic direction finding systems.
- Demagnetisation: of tools and equipment used in sensitive areas.
- Land Magnetic Range and EOD Range: to measure, record and correct magnetic signatures of tools and equipment to ensure they are magnetically clean and will not accidentally trigger an explosive device.
- Magnetic surveys: of areas involved in the production and storage of MCMV equipment, to ensure compliance with defined criteria.
We provide training to naval and civilian personnel in all aspects of signature management.